There are many brands and classifications on the market for three-coordinate measuring machines. The commonly used Nikon three-coordinates, Sirui three-coordinates, Hexagon three-coordinates, etc., we must learn how to correctly purchase CMMs.
First, we must first understand what is a coordinate measuring machine:
The quality goal in manufacturing is to align the production and design requirements of the part. However, maintaining consistency in the production process requires control over the manufacturing process. The most effective way to establish and maintain a consistent manufacturing process is to accurately measure the size of the workpiece, obtain dimensional information, and analyze and feedback the data into the production process, making it an effective tool for continuously improving product quality.
The CMM is one of the most effective methods for measuring and obtaining dimensional data because it can replace a variety of surface measurement tools and expensive combination gauges, and reduce the time required for complex measurement tasks from hours to minutes. The function of the coordinate measuring machine is to quickly and accurately evaluate the dimensional data, providing the operator with useful information about the condition of the production process, which is quite different from all manual measuring devices.
Second, master the correct method of purchasing a three-coordinate measuring machine:
1. The first thing to determine is which type of coordinate measuring machine to purchase. If a CMM is exactly what you need for your job, how do you choose the best? The first thing to determine is which type of CMM to buy. There are three basic types of orientation based on the placement of the probe on the measuring machine: vertical, horizontal and portable.
(1) The vertical coordinate measuring machine mounts the probe on the vertical arm. The accuracy of this type of measuring machine is higher than that of a horizontal measuring machine because the bridge structure is relatively stable and there are fewer moving parts, which makes them more rigid and stable. Vertical CMMs are available in a variety of sizes to measure the body from pinion gears to engine blocks and even commercial aircraft.
(2) The horizontal measuring machine mounts the probe on the horizontal axis. They are generally used to detect large workpieces, such as the body of a car, with a medium level of accuracy.
(3) The portable measuring machine simplifies the measurement of workpieces and assemblies that cannot be moved to the measuring machine. Portable measuring can be mounted on or even inside the workpiece or assembly, which allows measurement of the internal space and allows the user to be at the assembly site. Measurements save time in moving, transporting and measuring individual workpieces.
2. In order to keep the coordinate measuring machine stable, in the design process, it is generally increased by increasing the cross section of the structural components, increasing the distance of the air bearing, increasing the driving force of the motor, and optimizing the material of the selected structure based on the weight and temperature performance. Quality and rigidity, improve measurement accuracy, repeatability, and measurement speed and acceleration. These principles are also applied to some horizontal shop-type CMMs that combine the flexibility of a horizontal measuring machine with the high precision of a vertical design.
3. The direction of horizontal measurement makes the combination of measuring machine and horizontal machine tool processing equipment more reasonable. They are especially suitable for measuring large gearboxes and engine housings that require high precision measurements.
4. The addition of the turntable makes four axes possible, and the two-arm configuration can also be realized, and all directions of the workpiece can be measured. The horizontal arm configuration makes it easier to load and unload workpieces, and the small, shop-type horizontal arm measuring machine is used during high-speed production.